Re: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

> I know a couple of people have hinted at the humor thing...but I don't
>buy
> it.  To me he seemed pretty serious about exploring this crappy piano
> patch.  We're talking extended noddling over the course of several
>songs.
> Heck, he even switched from the beloved Fripp fuzz to the piano patch mid
> solo.  The outrage!!!! :-)

I think what Fripp is doing with his MIDI guitar at times seems to be all
too common with keyboard players in general.  That is, the player dials up
some preset and begins noodling with it.  Dr. T (of Dr T's Music Software)
called it "treating your synth like a cheap organ", or "playing the preset
instead of playing the synth".   He like bringing up the example of Sun Ra
as somebody who really _played_ his synth (i.e. playing with the sound in
in realtime instead of just statically playing a preset)

> I think when Fripp is trying to be funny with his tone selection he makes
> it obvious.  For example, for their encore their played VROOOM (or was it
> VROOOM VROOOM?)...anywho...he used an organ patch...it was funny.....for
>5
> minutes and then it was stale.  Perhaps his timing as a comedian is just
> off?

He should keep his day job.  No threat to Seinfeld, that's for sure. :)

Paolo Valladolid