Re: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

Gee, I think everyone who has contributed to this thread has made some
*very*
insightful comments, and asked very worthwhile questions - really thought
provoking.

(Kim's yawning.  So hit the delete button, fer chrissakes!  :-)

A few things I'd like to add:

I have enormous respect for musicians who are willing to take the risks
that P2
is on this tour (or for that matter, any players who are performing
improvisational music.)  Improvising in a concert setting is one of the
most
demanding, challenging, (and freeing!) performance environments there is.
I'm
not sure how many "ground rules" P2 has set up for themselves
structure-wise,
but regardless, it takes lots of chops (plus a few riffs to fall back on
when
the going gets rough :-), lots of experience, and a whole lot of guts just
go out there and do it in any contexKct.  There inevitably are highs,
mediums,
and (hopefully not many) lows, as well as some downright loose moments;
there
certainly were at this concert.  But the P2 boyz were laughing at
themselves!
 What the heck - just affirming they're mortals after all, having a good
time,
pushing the boundaries - they've been on stage a time or two.  Within
reason,
(and that's a very subjective qualification, I admit) I'd *much* rather
hear
exploratory inconsistencies, self-absorption, and blatant screw-ups (and
transcendent, in-the-moment inspiration!) than something slick, canned,
and
predictable.  Especially when I know that's where they're coming from to
begin
with. These guyz were out there doing what very few musicians are capable
of,
or willing to try.  It's important, I think, in gauging the "success" of
such
an undertaking, to bear in mind the considerable difficulties and risks
inherent in the attempt.

(Matt, I know you were referring to "finished" performance as opposed to
slick
- I'm obviously speaking in much more polarized terms than you were.  This
is
not intended at all to rebut your response, which clearly was thoughtfully
onsidered, and very stimulating.  More just my personal view, as is yours,
which your questions helped me to identify...)

Story time, girlz and boyz: I'm reminded of the first time I heard
Emerson,
Lake, and Palmer in concert, early 70's.  (Oh gawd, that just about puts
me in
Grandmaville, doesn't it?  @8^)  I went to their first-of-tour warmup
concert
in a little college town, and they blew me away.  It was flawless,
intense,
dynamic - big flashy show. Two nights later I saw them in the city.  Clone
concert, absolutely identical down to the note, nuance, rap,
look-up-at-the-crowd-with-sexy-smile-on-this-measure, *everything*.  I was
really disillusioned.  Of course it practically *had* to be done that way;
it
was a tightly orchestrated and timed production, a huge, expensive tour,
loads
of technicians each playing a precise and critical part.  And it was
*very*
impressive, at least the first time around!  Besides, who was I to judge?
They
were playing their own ground-breaking, technically demanding music, the
concerts were hot, their records were selling, they weren't working day
jobs,
and they were touring the world!  Not too damn bad.

But still, the impression lingers.  It's not *their* fault I was
disillusioned.
They were playing their butts off, delighting their fans, and paying the
bills.
 (I do wonder, though, if by the end of the tour, the repetition started
feel stifling, even with the adrenaline rush of playing for huge
enthusiastic
crowds.)  The problem was only mine, in that my expectations were pretty
na•ve
and idealistic.  However, _I don't think that idealism was unfounded at
all._
 It was a major turning point for me in terms of realizing that
improvisation
was a more satisfying direction for me personally.  (Not terribly
lucrative,
however.  I've certainly had to play my share of covers to pay the rent.
At
least ELP were playing their *own* covers!)

Which is why, at the very least, I admire the scope, vision, and risk of
the
ProjeKct tours, independent of the music itself.  How Fripp, Gunn, and
Belew --
and their fans -- will feel about their efforts and depth of
experimentation
when it's all over is anyone's guess.  The music's evolution over the
course of
the tour will be very interesting.  I'd love to hear an "after" cd
juxtaposed
with the pre-tour recording.  (BTW, if you really are hopelessly
pathological
about this, Gunn's Road Diary has some entries about making the P2 cd, as
well
as the P1 performances: http://www.treygunn.com/road.html.  Hearing about
P1 &
2 from one of the participants is actually pretty revealing.)

OK, off my soapbox.  Thanks for everybody's perceptive, probing questions,
and
thoughtful ideas.

laurie