Re: Current Listening, once againnnnn...

At 11:38 AM 4/22/98, klaw@iglou.com wrote:

>Im a little surprised no one mentions Oval on this list.
>Their music definately incorporates looping & some bizarre manipulation.

I got their "Dok" CD on Thrill Jockey at the same time I got the Tony
Conrad. I haven't given it more than a casual listen, but it seems pretty
interesting. I heard some earlier material that strictly used skipping CD
players as sound sources.

Also, the new Tortoise disc "TNT" uses some fairly subtle looping.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra