Re: Echoplexes and Choo-Choo Trains

At 7:53 PM -0700 5/16/98, Randy Jones wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Kim, I love this train metaphor. It made a lot of things clear for me.
>Could you put NEXT LOOP in this metaphor for me. Will anything else fit?
>
>thanks,
>
>Randy Jones

hmmm, not the sort of Engineering I set out to do......

All Aboard!

(sorry....)

If you missed this bit before, here's the train saga so far:

>> The feedback level is applied after the loop audio output, and
>> before the loop audio is mixed back into delay line, so a given bit of
>> audio still has to wait 20 seconds before it is heard again with the
>> feedback setting applied. The feedback structure looks a little bit
>> like this crude ascii drawing:
>>

>>                                  _________
>>                   ______________|feedback |__________
>>                   |             | level   |          |
>>                   |             |---------|          |
>>                   |                                  |
>>  input => ------>(x)--->|=========================|------> output
>>                                delay line
>>

>> the idea of cycles and loops (were a cycle is a subset of the loop) is
>> another sort of abstraction, and I'm not even very sure how best to
>> put it into the picture above. This is dumb, but maybe it works:
>>
>> Think of the path above as a train track that goes around in a circle.
>Your
>> loop would then be the train following the track, with the front end of
>the
>> train just reaching the back. Each cycle would be a car in the train.
>Doing
>> a multiply or insert adds cars to the train and makes the track longer
>> let it fit. Now, if a given car (cycle) is at the feedback level station
>> when you adjust the feedback, it still has to go all the way around the
>> whole track to get to the output.

ok, NextLoop rides the rails:

If a single loop is like a circular train track, then multiple loops are
like several circular train tracks lying next to each other. Each can have
a train on it, but only one of the trains gets to go at a time. Only that
one has the input and output tracks connected to it. The audio riding on
the train gets on and off there.

When you press NextLoop, the train we are on stops and just sits there, and
a the train on one of the other tracks starts up. The tracks to the input
and output loading docks get connected to the new track.

If there is no train on the next track yet, you press Record to build a new
track and put a train on it. This train starts off with one car (a flexible
one, I guess). Using multiply and Insert adds new cars, as previously
noted.

If you have Switch Quantize on and you press NextLoop, the guy who controls
the track switching waits until the car currently at the output dock gets
completely past it before throwing the switch.

If you do a loop copy, the audio on the current train gets a transfer to go
to the new train. It gets off the first train in orderly fashion and gets
onto the new train, along with any new audio passengers. Actually, it
doesn't get off the first train. A mad scientist has a lab under the
transfer station where he runs a secret cloning operation, so it's an
identical copy bording the new train and the original has to stay on the
old train.

If you do a time copy, the audio doesn't get to transfer, but the guys who
build the new train and track make sure to use cars that are the same size
as the previous train.

If this helped you, well, at least something is....:-)

Somebody else can figure out where midi clock fits into all this.

kim