Re: AW: average loop music CD price

At 10:15 AM -0700 7/30/98, Crossedout@aol.com wrote:
>We could go round and round - personally, when I get my cd together, I am
>going to price it more along the lines of $5 or less, so that more people
>are
>likely to pick it up. This is very similar to a discussion I once heard
>about
>bands touring and selling t-shirts - you will sell a lot more shirts for
>$5
>then for $15 - and every shirt is free advertising. Well, assuming you
>make
>good music, more people will pay $5 than $15 for a cd, and if they like
>it,
>they will tell people about it.

the problem with your logic there is good ol' supply and demand. You may
hardly sell any more at $5 than you would at $7 or $10 or $15. You could
easily just be ripping yourself off, and missing out on an opportunity to
make a living off your music.

and I agree with Misha. why not put value on your own creative abilities
and output? Isn't that really the thing you are selling and the thing
people are paying for? I've got plenty of shiny cd's around to look at, I
don't need more of those. The thing I would pay you for is the music you
created, as compensation to you for your ability to create it. I want the
ARTIST to get a good portion of the money I pay, I don't want it all going
to pay the bill at the CD manufacturing plant. That's nuts.

I also agree that I tend to see someone only charging $3 or $5 for a whole
cd as someone who must have a rather low opinion of themselves. If you
don't think you are worth anything more than that, why would I want to
listen to it? I'm actually more likely to buy a new cd that's $10-$15 than
a new one in the bargain bin. I figure it must be cheap so they can clear
the unsellable junk out of inventory. I imagine that's not the impression
you're trying to give!

kim