Re: gamalan

I play in a (Javanese) gamalan ensemble based in Eugene, Oregon. From what
I gather, in Indonesia neither musicians nor composers are particularly
respected in general. The culture of gamelan is more about cooperation and
collaboration than individual virtuosity (although there certainly are
virtuoso-caliber players.) Gamelan music results from the shared efforts
of all the musicians in the ensemble. In general, the music is esteemed if
the players are actively listening to one another, subjugating individual
creativity to the demands of the music as a whole, and otherwise remaining
true to the long-held performance traditions that inform the music and the
culture.

It's interesting to note that composition, as we know it, does not usually
take place, and is not especially welcomed. Many musical pieces are very
old, although new ones do enter the repertoire. But these new pieces, to be
well-received, must not depart too radically from anything traditional.

-Peter