RE: Boomerang/EDP different layout

At 3:35 AM -0700 8/11/98, Andreas Willers wrote:
>Yo, I love hands-on analog control via knobs as well! And while the EDP
>has
>a lot of very clever features I find it's biggest disadvantage (correct me
>if I'm wrong, I've never actually seen one) the lack of pitch control
>(starting with that classic Les Paul 8va/8vb tape speed stuff).

It's interesting that this pops up all the time, and I'd hazzard that this
is another of those guitarist-centric things. (or a sound-designer centric
thing....)

It seems to come from a perspective of looping devices as sound effects or
audio processors, as opposed to a type of audio recording device. Well, I
think loopers like the echoplex, jamman, boomerang, etc. are NOT sound
effects. Looking at these things to be sound effects is sort of missing the
point completely. These devices are designed for recording audio and giving
you easy ways to loop it and manipulate how and when it is played back.
They are much more like samplers or hard disk recorders in that way, in
this case with special features designed for real-time use. Those "clever
features" on the echoplex that let you do this type of thing, ARE the
echoplex. That's what it's purpose is. It wasn't designed to create weird
noises itself, which is why it doesn't. It's job is to record them and
reproduce them and give you ways to manipulate them in time, not impart any
character of its own.

There are often ways to abuse the features and get these loop devices to
make interesting sound effects, but those are typically secondary to the
real purpose of the device. (and indeed, most of these things people
mention were actually "abuses" of features on old devices!)  Citing
something like the lack of a pitch-warping effect as the echoplex's
"biggest disadvantage" is absurd, when that has absolutely nothing to do
with the point of the device in the first place. It wasn't designed to be a
sound effect, therefore it comes as no surprise that it isn't one.

In fact, we frequently debate this during the design process. New features
are constantly being forced to prove that they belong there and remain true
to the nature and purpose of the device. Just because you could add
something, doesn't always mean that you should! You might just end up with
confused, tasteless mush.

kim