Getting paid to play

>> You'd be suprised how many coffeehouses *do* pay fo you to play
>'ambient,
>> electronic' stuff. I get booked around here (and get paid) simply
>because
>> it's not typical coffeehouse music. Hell, I supported an East Coast US
>tour
>> playing only coffeehouses.
>> And no tip jar is ever involved. Give it a try.
>> Dave Eichenberger

I'm glad that you were able to get paid in this manner, but I'm sad to
report that my experience in Austin is that you won't get paid unless you
clearly demonstrate a clear financial advantage for the venue
(coffeehouse, bar, etc).
  If people don't come to see you, AND spend money at the venue, the
owner isn't interested in paying you, and is most likely not interested
in booking you.  "Every night not spent cultivating a Next Big Thing is a
night wasted" appears to be the guiding principle in most cases.  As
musicians, we often expect to be paid for our playing.  From an owner's
standpoint, he doesn't care what you do, as long as it brings in paying
customers.

Travis Hartnett