Re: Gibson/Steinberger/Oberheim

>Geez, and all the Steinie advertisements were nearly enticing me to buy
>one of those transtrem guitars.  Now I have second thoughts (especially
>since I found a handmade in the u.s.a. kinda guitar thingie before I was
>able to get to my local Steinie dealer).

As I understand, they are reopening steinberg and tobias around the 1st of
the year, in a new facility in Memphis. So it's only a few
months....depending of course on how long it takes them to get things
running again.

>I see a lot of these guitar monopolies want to get into technology, but
>the persistent layoffs and lack of advertising smarts bothers me.  I
>saw perhaps one ad for the echoplex since it was introduced and they
>really could have pushed it.

Actually, they were selling echoplexes faster than they could make them
most of the time, so there hasn't been any need for advertising so far.
Word-of-mouth was enough. Ads would have just made the backorder list
longer!

kim