Re:VG8-or 2112

        Basically I agree with  all that follows on the mixer.  To all this
I would only add that Mackie 1202s are very big on this list provide a
great
deal of flexibilty in processing (two effects sends that can be used as
mono
sends and have four effects, 2 on each send).  Their manuals are easy to
understand and in conjuction with the Torn video and some time, you'll be
able to do all sorts of fun stuff.
        I have a VG and use it with a 1202 and have a JamMan and Boss
RSP-10
tied into Aux send 1 and the Echoplex in Aux 2.  The VG8 can also do
looping, although you don't have a lot of time available.  You can set the
amount of regenration to be controlled by the expression pedal so you can
loop and play over the loop without recording by rocking back and forth on
the pedal  (Thanks to David Coffin for that trick).  The pickup sounds are
quite good, very reasonable approximations.  With a little patience and
tweaking, you can get them to sound even better.
        There's a VG website (www.vg-8.com) to which a lot of folks submit
their patches for easy download and a discussion list akinb to this one,
although not quite as busy.  I find the guitar and amp sounds work really
well and I love the HRM aspects of it as well.  I just released a CD and
recorded 85% of the trcks using the VG8 directly.  To my ears, they sound
as
good as the old fashioned tracks with a strat, SansAmp etc. into an AC30.
        I still play with my amp from time to time, but live I run through
the PA.  My back works much better as a result.
        This is a great device with a lot of levels to it.  I've never
tried
the 2112 so I have no way to make a comparison.

Frank Gerace
Dreamchild
http://www.channel1.com/users/seahorse