Introduction and 'Instant music' software

Hi Loopers,

I live in Perth, Western Australia and create loop based music at home
on my PC.  At the moment I'm using the freeware version of DDClip which
gives four stereo tracks of ausio and allows me to sequence WAV files
from my hard drive and it mixes and plays them back in real time.

I was reading Computer Music magazine the other day and it had a small
feature on 'instant music' CD-ROM's.  You now the type - Dance Music
e-jay software.  A CD-ROM with a with a custom interface thousand or so
dance music samples that lets you put all the loops together and make a
dance track.  If you've never tried one - give it a go as they are a lot
of fun.

I tried out a program called Hip Hop eJay and found that it was quite
similar to the way I am making music with DDClip.  Most of the loops for
HHejay were ten seconds long exacly.  Others were 5 seconds so you could
for example have a ten second bassline loop and then have a
complementary 5 seconf loop on another track come in on the start or the
second half of the loop.  Anyway, my question is, how would I go about
creating a set of loops like that.  Would I have to create separate
libraries of basslines and beats according to BPM?  How would I create
loops of different BPM in loops that are exactly ten seconds anyway?

Thanks,
Pixiepuck