Re: EDP Problem

> I thought maybe it has to do with changing drum machine patterns during
> the loop- my Dr-5 is in sync- I can't really think of anything else that
> wouldn't be hardware or simply a defective unit-  Has anyone else
> experienced this problem?
> I can put the sound on my website if need be-
>
> Your input is greatly appreciated-

I think I know what the problem is here.  It has to do with input levels
that happen to clip or distort when the initial cycle is being recorded.

If a preliminary signal starts clipping past a certain point when you're
recording your first pass (between the time that you hit "Record" and
whatever button you use to close the loop), then the unit's feedback
seems to get locked into a "scaling down" syndrome.  You'll notice that
the feedback LED should be flickering into the orange or red at certain
points during this loop; that tends to be the clincher.  I don't know
exactly what's going on internally, but theÊreal-world result is that
theÊfeedback of the unit gets scaled back to a value somewhat less than
100%, so that the loop will fade out after several minutes.

Even if you let the loop die down to a lower level and then overdub new
layers on top which don't clip, the feedback seems to stay locked in
this "scaled down" mode.  You basically have to erase this loop and
begin completely anew with a new preliminary cycle (preferably after
scaling back the input levels!)

The only times I've ever noticed this syndrome are, as I described, when
the input is hot enough that it noticably clips, and the feedback LED
glows orange or red at some point in the cycle.

Next time you notice this problem, check the feedback LED (or it input
LED as you're recording your preliminary cycle) and see if you notice
the same thing.

Good luck,

--Andre