Re: Room sounds (AND MORE)

the composer is alvin lucier

>   This thread on room sounds reminds me of a process piece, perhaps by
>Lou
>  Harrison. The title, as I best recall, was/is "I Am Sitting In A
>Room..."
>  and it consists of a short text which is read out loud. The text is the
>set
>  of instructions for performance. Here's a paraphrase:

>The resulting recording would then consist of this short spoken piece
>repeated over and over, slowly degenerating into room resonance and
>circuit
>resonance until it sounded like a bit of musique concrete. There may have
>even been an instruction to play the entire thing backwards somehow,
>allowing the text to emerge from the cloud of resonances. Can anyone
>identify this piece better?

i have the score here somewhere i just cant find it now
i also have an interview with him in another book talking mostly about
that
piece
i dont think theres anything about playing it backwards in there but he
did
mention some interesting 'performances' of the pieces
like a 24hour one in a big church
and i think me mentioned a one year long one that was going on

he also mentions in the score to try using different rooms or resonant
spaces
'some that you would like to bring the characteristics out of'

with all this 'new music' talk id like to know how many people are on the
looping list from a newmusic/compositional/reich/cage/stakhousen point of
view

rodrigo