Re: Looping genres

At 3:30 PM -0700 6/8/99, Greyseason@aol.com wrote:
>Recently, there has been much talk on the list about classifying loop
>music,
>John Cage, etc.  I started to think about a genre of music where looping
>is a
>common practice: Hip-Hop.  I have not seen rap music discussed on the list
>and I was wondering what everyone thought.  I think it is pretty safe to
>say
>that everybody on this list is into looping.  What does everyone think of
>hip-hop?  I started to think about it this morning while listening to "It
>Was
>A Good Day" by Ice Cube.  I thought to myself: "That is a great little
>guitar
>loop."  I quickly realized why I like rap so much (other than for those
>fun
>rhymes and phat beats).  I'm just curious.

Hey, kinda busy but I wanted to pop up and say "right on" here! I've loved
hip hop for years, it's a big part of why I got interested in looping. I
remember listening to "planet rock" on the AM radio when I was a kid, and
later Public Enemy blew my mind. The groove loops those guys created were
just amazing, I couldn't get "don't believe the hype" out of my head for
days after I first heard it....it still gives me goose bumps.  I haven't
been following hip hop much the past few years, other than some of the more
adventurous dj/turntablists. I really like Qbert's "wave twisters" album.
Mix Master Mike's album was alright too. And the Automator on the Dr.
Octagon album from last year, wow....

anyway, yeah, hip hop is the genre that has really brought this loop
oriented music into the popular conscious. It's not necessarily the stuff
everybody does, musically, but I think there is a whole generation of
people now who won't be sitting there saying "dude, his fingers aren't
moving...."

kim