IN THE LOOP

We are happy to announce the release of our second FingerPaint CD, In the Loop. Audio samples are available at our site. As a special to LD members we are making this available for a limited time at $10 postpaid in the US, add an additional $2 for destinations outside the US. make your check or money order out to:

Patrick Smith
P.O. Box 5364
Takoma Park, MD 20913

Attached are two reviews.

Fingerpaint- In The Loop (FNGP 9901)
http://www.fingerpaint.net
This is the second release by Fingerpaint of which I am aware of. For the
most part it's quiet an enjoyable experience, based on loops, special
effects, at times somewhat atonal. Almost haunting and alien, Fingerpaint
none the less keep up an interesting range of electronic sounds which
mirrors some of the moods explored on Primary Colors: Blue. There are
moments of serene ambience interspersed with trippy electronics. Keep Your
Eyes Peeled (or I'll peel 'em for ya ) kind of reminds me of electrofunk
Miles Davis, a bit mad, a bit out there. I quite enjoy the clutter of noise
that is created in the process. In The Loop is as beautiful a piece of
music as you will ever hear. My ears pick up on an Eno sample, though for
the moment I can't quite place it. The piece is far too short, and when it
ends you almost feel cheated. Becoming Visible has an early 80's analogue
feel to it, revisiting Tangerine Dream circa Phaedra / Rubycon. There are
lots of trippy space sounds employed, as well as an up tempo rhythm pattern
which keeps the piece moving along nicely . I get the impression these guys
like to inhabit the bottom end of the synthesiser. At times the guitar
becomes distorted, violent slashes of sound cut across the palate of sound
as the alien soundscapes once again make their presence felt. Occupation
Zone has a child like innocence about it, with effects and treatments
occurring in the background. The last time I heard anything quite so
strange was on a Burt Bacharach cover on Zorn's Tzadik label, where Kramer
reinvented whatever Bacharach number he was performing to the point it
became unrecognisable. Enormous Expansion is classic dark ambient again.
'Sounds' occurring repetitively in the background, sinister and evil
atmospheres pervade the piece. Fingerpaint have a lot to offer for those
that are ready to take the plunge into their strange and private world.
Though not always pleasant to listen to they are an outfit that nonetheless
deserve a far greater audience.

Hans Stoeve
c/o Power Spot 89.7FM
Sydney, Australia

http://www.users.bigpond.com/nadabrahma
reviews / interviews / cd's for sale / the ultimate Jon Hassell webpage

FINGERPAINT
In the Loop
FNGP Recordings

The ambient electronic collective from Takoma Park Maryland known to the world as Fingerpaint have embarked on a new dimensional journey, whereby their
soothing, yet seductively enigmatic sounds can be administered in larger dosages to audiences beyond the confines of their studio walls. With their intricate and melodic debut CD Primary Colors: Blue securely fastened in their catalog, soundscapers Patrick Smith and Steev Geest forge ahead into familiar, yet predominantly unchartered territory with In the Loop, an intelligent, stimulating mixture of minimalist spacebeats and obscure samples layered gently upon a hypnotic illbient backdrop.

Venturing into quasi-drum&bass arenas with tracks 'Becoming Visible' and 'Keep Your Eyes Peeled', Fingerpaint flirt graciously with their
equipment, allowing rampant percussion loops to slam violently against a twisted chorus of distorted sampled vocals and staccatoed, searing
beats. 'Occupation Zone' and the album closer 'In the Loop' offer a fresh innovative look into Fingerpaint's continued development as premier
domestic sound architects. The stylistic navagation and construction heard on In the Loop avoids he usual textbook classification stereotype,
highlighting the unique talents of Geest and Smith who manipulate sounds in unorthodox ways. Fingerpaint's ability to interpret and expand the
conceptual nature of illbient make the whole experience that much more fashionable. Brad, Digital Artifact #12.

http://www.fingerpaint.net