DJRND2

Ofer Lehr wrote:

> what is important to me is that i would be able to work
> very intuitivly with it and i am less interested in advanced
> sound editing features, very high sound quality or the possibility
> to play too many loops together.
> anyway, i dont know a lot about the subject and i would be very happy
> to have some advice from you, if yould like to.
> i would like to hear more about the DJRND2. do you really make it
> yourself ? please tell me about it.

Intuitive to play with and no editing mode, these are some interesting
points.

Existing DJ samplers that you can buy on the market right now still
require some preparation for your set of loops before to use it on live.
You definitely can't sample and play loops simultaneously because
existing samplers, even the biggest, are designed following to the same
archaic method : recording time-samples here and there to sew them each
other afterwards by using MIDI or what else.

Just have a look on ads : They promise you can use their samplers on
live ... yes ! press start playing your pre-recorded sequence and that's
all !

Ok ! YAMAHA for instance have made some stuffs with which you can turn
and switch real time effects on the samples being played back (SU-700),
but you still require preparation anyway to 'swallow' your samples into
the machine before anything else, and they all still do it in the same
old way :

- press START REC
- press STOP REC
- goto EDITING MODE
- try to find out the A and B points in your sample to loop correctly
- then 'Ok ! it seems to sound good'
- then, redefine a new global tempo for a same set of loops
- and START REC a sequence (MIDI)
- play something on your triggering keyboard (Ouch ! I can't press my
drums loops exactly o'clock each others)
- stop REC ...

And then, when comes out the very moment, you just press START for you
demo in front of the audience.

Wellknown manufacturers still see this way.

Sometimes, I am wondering if they don't really want it as they know they
could do much better pruducts, because they seem to cook always the same
meal again and again : Do they think we are stupid users that are unable
to think in a different way ? They must think we are too much stupid to
get better right now, and this is probably why it is very hard to touch
these wellknown manufacturers.

But back to the subject :

If you need intuitive way of use with no need of editing mode or
sequence programmation, the DJRND2 could suit you.

The only axiom to use it is to set the exact tempo of what is going to
be recorded BEFORE you start recording, and that's all ! No editing mode
anymore, loops are perfectly recording in the beat.

The DJRND2 do not require any sequencer, since loops always keep on
spinning round each others in a commun beat. You must be sure of the
tempo : for that purpose, you have a TAP TEMPO followed by a second step
which is called TRIM TEMPO where you fine the BPM with the trimmer as
you can hear it simultaneously in your headphones : accuracy around 0.1
BPM reachable in a few seconds once used with it. Then you can record
your first loop or sync your existing loops on your source before
recording a new loop.

Loops are all stereo, a loop = a layer. A realtime beat countdown is
displayed during your recording so you can check if it is o'clock in the
BPM. You can couple up loops during recording : REC key shows 'TRAC',
press the loop key to record, then appears the beat countdown. You can
anticipate the next loop to record immediately after the loop being
recorded by pressing SEL followed by the next loop key. The recording
time is automatic in function of the loop beat number.

This is a first senario to obtain loops quickly.

There is no MIDI since the device is purely audio, usable on live in a
total intuitive way. There is no HD back up since you can re-sample
loops very quickly in a perfect way on a single shot.

You can also fine loops juxtaposition afterwards by using BACK and FORW
keys so your loops are definitely well fit each-other in terms of beat
coincidence. And the fact that you can mix the 14 stereo loops all
together gives you the freedom to use all the possible 16383 combinasons
of loop mixing at any time.

The DJRND2 is really usable on live starting from nothing except the
source itself to loop. Loop recording occurs while the loops keep on
spinnig back. Loops are never triggered : they are just muted on or off
in the mix, which is much easier. You can use the BACK and FORW key to
improvise beat break simulations and repetitions : quite funny.

Really, the DJRND2 is a very funny and discret device to use on live.

DJRND2 is for DJ Round sampler, version 2. Hardware and imbedded
software as the device functionalities have been totaly developped on my
own. Inside, there are two epoxy PCBS, the one carrying the keys and
leds, the other the components. There is no flying wire in it.
Potentiometers are from ALPS, switches from ITT SHADOWS, the steelen
package stacking upon four rubber cones in order to smoothen keypresses.
Dimensions : 260x90x225 mm3

I had an opportunity to use it on live a few days ago during the last
Gay-Pride in PARIS. I was looping on a truck beside a DJ playing his
records to let people dance in the street. The test was very funny and
discret : I do not know if people have seen the difference during
record/loops crossfades. Funny it was also when I looped someone in the
street who spoke on the mike for someone to meet. It seemed as it was
printed in the mix. The DJ himself sometimes told me I was too much
looping. Looping, looping ! I'm fool of that !

You can use it as an effect on live or as a remixer at home where you
have much time to fine beat juxtaposition concerning heterogenous looped
sources (Charles Trenet with Donald D and whatever else). But it remains
very efficient on the scene just to make several loops of what is being
played back. Restarting the device for a new song is easy : press REC
and SEL keys together, all the loops are immediately cleaned, the tempo
is kept.

The DJRND2 recording method is unique in the world as far as I know.

One of the first DJ sampler was the REMIX16 of AKAI in 1995. Then came
out the S20 (which is the same product made in a plastic package). AMKO
came out with their DJS-1 (Belgium). Then came up the ZOOM ST-224 (some
effects are interesting to me in this product). You have also the SP-202
from BOSS (ROLAND).

You know, I am the first user of my homemade devices. Do you think I
could exchange mine with one of these products even if some of them are
more cheaper ?

I have reached a certain amount of experience in the use of BPM looping,
and this is one of the reasons I could have my looping method patented.
As I told you just before, I feel I come out to soon in comparison with
the other existing products, but I still hold on.

Just tell me if you are interested in check out a device.

Emmanuel PERILLE