Re: DJRND2

At 12:44 PM -0700 7/7/99, PERILLE wrote:
>The DJRND2 recording method is unique in the world as far as I know.
>
>One of the first DJ sampler was the REMIX16 of AKAI in 1995.

Remix16 was actually introduced in early 1997.....

>Then came
>out the S20 (which is the same product made in a plastic package). AMKO
>came out with their DJS-1 (Belgium). Then came up the ZOOM ST-224 (some
>effects are interesting to me in this product). You have also the SP-202
>from BOSS (ROLAND).

well, before we re-write history, both the Lexicon Jamman ('94) and the
Oberheim Echoplex ('95) were being used by dj's long before any of these
existed. Boomerang came in '96, and maybe some dj's used it too? (I don't
know.) And the Paradis LoopDelay was even earlier in '93 (and other devices
were earlier), although I've never heard of a dj using one.  All these have
the live, no-preparation approach that you talk about. When Akai showed up
with the Remix16 at '97 winter NAMM, we rather smirked at how behind they
were. Their innovation seemed to be a crossfader! :-)

In fact, your device still requires more preparation than any of these
earlier devices, as the user must know the BPM ahead of time and type it
in! For Jamman, echoplex, etc, you don't need to know anything about the
source before you start looping it. You just tap the record in time and
it's immediately sampled and looping.

I don't mean to put you down, you are doing a very cool thing. Just keep
the history straight and respect what has come before you! :-)

>I have reached a certain amount of experience in the use of BPM looping,
>and this is one of the reasons I could have my looping method patented.
>As I told you just before, I feel I come out to soon in comparison with
>the other existing products, but I still hold on.

Well, we know the feeling of coming out too soon. ;-)

I'm not sure about your claim for patent. You have some interesting new
ideas, certainly! but the basic method of sampling the loop to the BPM is
very much like what we invented for the echoplex sync to midi clock in '94.
We have the same notion of the loop cycling around to the tempo, so that
would likely be prior art. The primary difference is we get the BPM from
the midi clock or an analog sync pulse, and you get it from the user
entering in on the front panel. And you have some interesting variations
with the gear ratio ideas, as opposed to our approach to that with multiply
and insert and 8ths/cycle. Otherwise it is quite similar....

Still, keep running with your ideas! I like it.....

kim