Input problems in EDP - Truncating volume swells.

This week my EDP began "truncating" the initial part of my volume swells.
That is, it acts a bit like a noise gate where it only records a signal
above a certain input level.  For example: if I  record a smooth volume
swell (beginning with complete silence), the play back will sound as if it
didn't record the initial part of the swell.  This results in a rather
abrupt appearance of the loop vs. the subtle effect I was after.  This is
the first time its misbehaved in the past year that I've had it.

I double checked the Threshold value, and it is set to 0.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Can this be fixed.

More info:
After I noticed the problem, I took the EDP out of the effects loop of my
mixer to make sure my mixer wasn't a part of the problem.  I sampled a good
volume swell into my DL4 pedal (which worked just fine thank you) as a
"test
swell" and then plugged the DL4 into the echoplex.  I set the EDP's mix to
50% and the original volume swell comes through the signal path perfectly
smooth, but the recorded version is still cut-off and abrupt.  This is done
with the input set at 25% which is where I normally keep it.  When I move
it
to %50, it seems to work better, but then I overload the EDP and it
distorts.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Greg