Looper's Delight Archive Top (Search)
Looper's Delight Home
Mailing List Info

Re: New Lexicon Reverb...MPX 500

Steven Woods suggested:

>The reverbs are not the same as the MPX 1
>they are the same as the MPX 100.

>For a magazine to  suggest that to the readership is ridiculous, they
>should
>look at the price point.

To be fair to all sides, I'm not sure that the "Sound on Sound" reviewer
*did* claim the MPX 500 and the MPX 1 shared reverbs.

In part it reads:
===================================
The Lexicon MPX1 is an established multi-effects/reverb all-rounder that
started life at over a grand, but now sells for little over half its
original price, while the more recent MPX100 is an altogether simpler
device
based on presets with limited editability at under 200. I think it's fair
to say that the MPX100 set a new standard for very-low-cost reverb/effects,
but although it sounds impressive for the price, if you put it up against a
PCM90 or 91 you can hear straight away that the more expensive unit sounds
richer, smoother and more spacious.

While the MPX100 is a fine reverb for the fiscally challenged project
studio, the more serious user may demand a little more sonic refinement and
more editability, which is why Lexicon developed the subject of this review
 the MPX500. Based on the same Lexichip III reverb engine that powers the
new generation of Lexicon reverb processors, the MPX500 expands on the
MPX100's philosophy while offering a sound quality that lies somewhere
between the MPX100 and the PCM90/91. So new is this processor that I had to
visit the Lexicon factory in Boston in order to get my hands on one in time
for this review, and while I was there, I was able to do direct comparison
with other Lexicon products in a studio environment before bringing it home
to do further tests. If the MPX100 sits at 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 with the
PCM90 at 10, I'd say the reverbs of the MPX500 score a five or better.

                                 Conclusions

You can buy more versatile multi-effects boxes than the MPX500 for around
the same price, but I don't
think any of them offers the quality of reverb available here. Similarly,
the non-reverb effects may provide
nothing new, but they sound just right. Is the MPX500 an alternative, or
even a replacement, for the more
expensive MPX1? Their reverb quality is certainly comparable, but the MPX1
is a far more capable
multi-effects unit, with rather more depth to its editability. At the same
time, more flexibility makes the
MPX1 more time-consuming to program, and for tweaking effects during a
session, the MPX500 is about
as close to perfection as you can get.

In fact, the only real criticism I can make of the MPX500, given its very
attractive price, is its limited
number of user memories. I'd recommend the MPX500 either as a second
reverb/general effects box for
someone who already has something better, or as a main reverb for the
smaller studio owner who
appreciates the benefits of a Lexicon reverb. I'm buying one to back up my
PCM90!

Hope that clears things up!

Cheers

David