Re: Discuss Amongst Yourselves....

The New Scientist Article Ken mentions (
http://www.newscientist.com/features/features.jsp?id=ns22273 ) is
excellent. Worth checking out, especially if you've read "Godel, Escher,
Bach". Putting your brain through some strenuous mental excercise! I think
it was Neils Bohr who said "anyone who fails to be completely shocked by
quantum physics hasn't understood it".

I have noticed that playing loops manually (just playing a phrase over and
over again) can be quite an experience, and certainly a different one to
using a looping device. Sometimes, your fingers just take over, and you can
hear the "loop" interacting with the rest of the music.

I happen to have a Sheila Chandra CD with me today, so on this subject, I
quote from the liner notes:

"Sacred Stones: Somewhere all of us intuitively understand the links
between ancient musics, that is, that drones and chanting are at the root
of all musics.

The act of chanting is like throwing a stone into a lake - however small
the stone is, the ripples (vibration) it creates affect the whole lake. I
believe that making sound can make you 'sound' (whole).

Om Namaha Shiva: An ancient chant, a new melody. Shiva is the destroyer of
ignorance. I find the 'clever' part of me wants the chant to 'go somewhere'
- instead I listen to the harmonics the chant creates, or just to its frail
simplicity ... One for all of you to join in with at home!"

    [from the CD "Weaving my Ancestors' Voices" (RealWord CDRW 24 - 0777
86722 2 7) ]

John