OT: Steinberger Adapter

Off topic to be sure, but since the guitars of choice amongst loopers often
are without headstocks, I'm wondering if any of you has tried the
Steinberger adapter that allows one to use regular single ball-end strings.
(It may be seen at <http://www.musicyo.com> on the Steinberger page,
although MusicYo seems to be out of stock on the 6 string version right
now.)

While I'm happy with the way my Steiny works and stays in tune, I
occasionally break high E's, and have found myself stuck with an increasing
number of E-less string sets. Also, I'd like to use a heavier gauge than I
can normally get with double ball-ends, so if this adapter thing works, it
may be worth checking out.

However, if it presents tuning problems, tone suckage or similar negatives,
I'd rather avoid it.

If any of you have tried the adapter and have an opinion about it one way
or the other, I'd like to hear from you. But please respond off-list; I
wouldn't want to start another brouhaha like last year's Elixir thread!

Tim