Re: Bad Feedback - was Re: ebow, acoustic looping,...

I used to do this a lot with my EDPs.  Worked fine for me!  I did an "I Am
Standing in a Room" treatment of a Brown and Williamson Tobacco answering
machine message for the chain tape project.    I called it "I Am Smoking
in a
Room".  :)  The feedback path went through an SPX-90.

The feedpath path levels are quite touchy.  I had to constantly tweak
levels.  I
wanted to use this technique in a live performance but it always seemed TOO
touchy.  I like your term "meltdown".  With my Kyma, I can do the entire
thing
digitally with enough control.  I imagine the MAX/MSP folks could do
likewise.

>...  It seems to
>me that, even though the majority of the signal is delayed, electrical
>devices
>have an inherant level of noise and it is this noise that is not delayed
>which
>causes the bad feedback.

If this is what you're hearing, it's not signal path stuff.  Could be a
grounding issue.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com