Re: EDP input gain

Hi Luis!

>What is an inline attenuator?

What I mean is a passive device, usually built into a cable or simple box,
that
simply reduces the signal going through it.  For example, a Shure A15AS is
an
inline attenuator for balanced mic lines (see
http://www.shure.com/accessories/acc-problemsolvers.html ).  The EDP uses
an
unbalanced input so you couldn't use an A15AS.  I briefly searched the web
for
an unbalanced inline attenuator but could not find one.  I'm sure they're
available.  Internally, they're simply a voltage divider:

  *------------+

                resistor1
input           |
                  +-----------*

               resistor2     output

*-------------+-----------*

If resistor1 = resistor2 then the signal is attenuated by half.  Kim could
probably suggest appropriate values for the resistors.

>This horrible digital distortion i get with
>the EDP i dont get it with the boomerang or other loop boxes so i
>definetly
>have to modify something else.

I find this surprising!  I'd expect that  your EDP's input sensitivity to
be
similar to your "boomerang or other loop boxes".  It makes me think that
something other than an excessive input level is causing the distortion.
I'd
try some experiments like placing the EDP in an effects loop of a mixer to
make
sure it's behaving properly.  I'd also try other kinds of signals, like
voice.

Hope this helps!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com