Re: computer music

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, rich wrote:

> Although i also have a hard time with the whole "DJ" thing too.  Not that
> DJ's shouldn't have as much fame and fortune as guitar slingers...far
>from
> it...it's just more fun to watch paint dry than see these guys spinning
> prefabbed tunes.

hmmm... i'd have to say i find the vinyl
slingers a more exciting to be with than
than the trackball pushers.... but i could
see where that's:

A) a difference of degree &
B) a reflection of the fact that i employ
records & tapes (as they say at k-tel) in
my live act. and we love to see people
doin what we do (so long as they don't
smoke us at it |)

course... i live in nyc - hence have
tons o access to olive, spooky, et themall...
it's always great to watch masters of all stripes
at work (& you can DEFINATELY tell when djs are
slackin & when they're plugged into
The Nerve, btw...)

yes, the LPs generate the beats from
a recorded standpoint, but after that
yr signal chain's yr own (get me on
a roll w/ a sugar hill 12", some white-label
test pressing scored at a salvation army and
that boomerang & the result is E: none of the above...)

so you never can quite trust yr ears (in the most
wonderful way).

i only use a single tt (becuase i already
have too damn much else to keep in line).
the people who use 3 or 4 of em and whip
up a puree so think you can spread it on toast
are just amazing to watch -

i would love to develop that multi tt technique,
just for the fun of having to use.

i of course refer and defer specifically to
christian marclay on this one, i been going
to hear him since 1980 (B.C.!) - he must
be the proto-looper of all times and never
used a looping device that i ever saw til
i noticed last month - YIKES! ONE tt and...

the boomerang!

christian, how COULD you???!!!

also ultra-checkoutable on this tip,
seattle's IQU. great combo of vinyl