Re: computer music

>powerbook shows have ranked among some of the
>most boring/disappointing events i have gone
>to.

I would have to jump in and agree on this one...100%

Although i also have a hard time with the whole "DJ" thing too.  Not that
DJ's shouldn't have as much fame and fortune as guitar slingers...far from
it...it's just more fun to watch paint dry than see these guys spinning
prefabbed tunes.

I was at a record store recently that specializes in trance/rave/techno/dj
records and culture.  They have a dj turntable setup in the store and a guy
spinning.  I was watching with curiosity wondering how they were generating
the beats and synching them with the sounds of the turntables, assuming
they were at least seperate elements that the 'talented' dj was assembling
with his own creative flair.

So, i ask the guy "how are the beats being generated and how are you
synching everything?" and "do you have records of just beats, and is the
other turntable playing other sounds?".

Answer:  "No, man, it's all there on the record".

Am i missing something?  Are there any DJ's here on the list that can vouch
for the effort and talent that it takes to compose on turntables?  Or is it
all premade for you on the vinyl, and your talent is 'record shopping'?

respectfully OT,

rich