Re: 2 turntables and a microphone (wasRe: computer music)

I don't get it either. I think it has something to do with that they
really
focus on the song-to-song transitions. They change the tempos and match
the
beats so that when they switch songs, it's smooth and maintains the
"energy". While that is impressive in itself, to me it doesn't warrant
paying attention during the songs themselves.

Once I saw a DJ match the beats so well that he had the 2 records going in
sync for a full minute, using the faders to blend fragments of the 2 songs
together in new ways, but that was the only time I was impressed by that
kind of DJ.

I'm extrememly impressed by the "real" DJ's, who create/compose music from
fragments of other recordings. I don't know of a lot of these guys who can
create whole songs live though, other than the Invisible Scratch Pickles
and
stuff.

Matt