Re: computer music

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, rich wrote:

>  I think my only beef is the whole
> concept how "cool" dj culture is supposed to be when a big part of it is
> spinning records on the part of the performer, and drug-taking and
>dancing
> on the part of the audience.

i heartily recommend the documentary _modulations_.

> Disco was cool, too, i guess.  We've just substituted X and GHB for
> cocaine, and the music is...well...the apple doesn't fall far from the
>tree.

sad that bernard edwards never got to hear squarepusher...
they'd have so much to talk about. whadya reckon stanley clarke
thinks of him?

> I do disagree with the statement that the ideas of sampling, filtering
>and
> remixing are native to the DJ crowd and will now become pervasive in
>music.
> I think it was already there, and the DJ's are borrowing and mutating it.
> It is becoming pervasive now because of it's popularity and there are
> manufacturers deciding to make equipment to support the performers.  And
> big chunk of that equipment has terms like "analogue", "retro", or
> "vintage" attached to it.

but over the course of recent history we seen these
expansion/contractions several sets of times, as regards
the preeminance of live-performed music & pre-recorded
or "canned" stuff.

the guitar bands get a shot, then the tide turns
and the fader jockeys take a turn. what makes now
so "now" is, as you say, the unprecedented previlance
of "equipment to support the performers". makes you
REALLY wonder how kraftwerk (or can fr that matter)
did it in 81 (or WAY earlier) w/out "the gadgets"...

no wait - don't tell me they used a blade and an editall!!!

ok! ok! i'm done now!!!!

rbrt