Re: computer music

>I am an old 60's guitarist who has gone through many phases. For the last
>ten years I have been into looping. I currently have two EDPs. Recently I
>have become interested in more modern music, that combines elements of
>looping with hip hop stuff. I
>bought a Roland SP808 and have been dabbling in sampling and remixing.
>
>From what I have heard and from my humble experiments, I think that the
>ideas of DJ culture, sampling, filtering, and remixing will become
>pervasive in music. It is the coming wave. And this this stuff is not just
>about playing records. It is new and
>cool and MUSICAL.
>
>But like all kinds of music, the stuff that you hear on the radio or in
>your local store, probably won't be the stuff with the most original
>musical ideas or the stuff executed with the most mind-blowing musical
>skill. The popular stuff will be aimed at
>the least common denominator. (See previous thread on computer music.)
>
>Loop, mix, loop, mix,
>
>Brother K
>

>Kamlapati Khalsa

In some ways, i am in the same position...Interested in modern music and
wishing to incorporate some of it.  I think my only beef is the whole
concept how "cool" dj culture is supposed to be when a big part of it is
spinning records on the part of the performer, and drug-taking and dancing
on the part of the audience.

Disco was cool, too, i guess.  We've just substituted X and GHB for
cocaine, and the music is...well...the apple doesn't fall far from the
tree.

I do disagree with the statement that the ideas of sampling, filtering and
remixing are native to the DJ crowd and will now become pervasive in music.
I think it was already there, and the DJ's are borrowing and mutating it.
It is becoming pervasive now because of it's popularity and there are
manufacturers deciding to make equipment to support the performers.  And a
big chunk of that equipment has terms like "analogue", "retro", or
"vintage" attached to it.

thanks for your comments,

rich