remixing: a looper's perspective!

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Bret wrote:

> I don't think these label distinctions are as cut and
> dried as suggested, at least not in common usage.
>
> What is DJ Shadow, who cuts and pastes music samples?
>
> Why are there many "turntablist"  who call themselves
> 'DJ' whatever (e.g. DJ Logic)?

well - methinks any artiste can use any moniker
of their choosing & have it accepted... but i
thought the semantic issue was more one of the REST of us being
able to differentiate human juke box from human beat box...

but then... you don't actually see anyone
tagging themselves "keyboard player marmite" or suchlike...

then Larry Tremblay wrote:

>  Unfortunately it has degenerated to the
> point of dreck like Puff Daddy, et al. But that's what happens to good
> ideas all the time. Beat that dead horse to a bloody pulp...

such evil works serve the ultra-important purpose of
pissing some of us off so mightily that we're impelled
to persue new forms of expression beyond those
currently commercially available.

of course, the drawback is the ever-present
danger that one or more of us can at any
moment commit mass-murder in an elevator or
clothing store when that once-too-often re-play
of (name yr poisen here) comes around.

wouldn't it be great if, somewher out there,
established rec. artists are at times saying
no, i do NOT give you permisson bug the shit
out of this world with my riff, no matter
how much dough you throw at me.

ok, ok,... i can dream, can't i...

then, McCullaghJ@Logica.compointed out:

Remixing goes back to Teo Macero's work with Miles 1968-75. The liner
notes
to the remastered Bitches Brew give the editing structure of "Pharaoh's
Dance", and it's amazing .. something like 22 edits in 20 minutes. At one
stage they took a 4 bar rhythm section loop, and repeated it, while
putting a solo over it.
<

beware of the kind of "remixing" as seen in the liner
notes of 70's live albums which advertises:

"remixed at wally hieder's" and REALLY means

"crappy guitar solo with fuckups replaced at
and additional wildly enthusiastic audience applause
overdubbed at..." ;>

yes. i crack me up. my actual point was gonna be -

i think there's a nifty little distinction
to be drawn between that looping
which is used as one step in a process that
goes on from there (like macero splicing
a passage for further o'dubs) and that looping
which is in itself an end-product - tho it may
be fluid and change/mutate over time so
as not to be the initial phrase/passage
at all.... its intention is one defined
by it's own statement, not a statement
that supports a further preconceived one...

whooa... pretty thick! i better hold it down to
on cup of coffee in the morning from here on out!

rbrt