Re: sp808, VP9000, and system design

Title: Re: sp808, VP9000, and system design

Gregor wrote:
<r&d, etc.. surely the "groove boxes" suck, because they give the sounds which are trendy now, but in 2
years nobody will like them. the person who is behind the machines and uses them is important.
some ppl use a sampler to make good rip-offs, some ppl to brake musical limits. a good example
why the person is important is the classic tb303. when roland launched it, it was meant for
one man bands. it should emulate or stand in the place of a bass player (tb - transistor bass).
i never heard a pop band which uses the 303 as a bass emulator.>
Except Stereo Totale, who I just had the great pleasure of seeing live.
What you've said actually made me reconsider the possibilities in a more optimistic way, even though I think we agree. Perhaps the literal minded myopia that led to the tb303 isn't that different from the market-driven myopia that gave rise to the groove bozo boxes.  The tb303 was a pretty unpopular device when it came out and for the ensuing years...until some guys from Detroit, especially one called Jones, who went by "Phuture" and produced the seminal 303 acidic squeltching tour de force "AcidTrax", bought one of the accursed, abject, unwanted, unusable devices for like $30 and figured out a way to abuse it, to use it originally, and in the process to re-invent the map of music for the next few decades.  This could happen again, despite the in-built obscelesence, to the current gear.  Yep, in two years nobody with like the sounds and machines of today, and they'll sell them like they're weeds, and in four years something new might be happening out of the ashes of late 90's grooviness.  Perhaps, I'm just saying less concisely and subtly what you were.  Anyway, I'm putting 50% of my money on circuit-bending.  See:
http://www.oddmusic.com/illogic/
Rather than spend $2500 on some soon-to-be-boring, overly complicated instant hi-tech trash, why not spend $250 on some casios, unwanted beeping toys, bargain synths, etc. and apply Bryan Gysin's cut-up method to their logic?  A lot less alienating.