OT: gate-checking

I have a friend who works for, uh .... a major airline ..... and he says
that checking a guitar, or anvil style road cases, is asking for trouble.
Some of the baggage handlers take delight in consciously being abusive to
the instrument or equipment.  They do this stuff On Purpose.

Many airlines will allow you to carry on a guitar.  The big deal is that it
must fit in the overhead.  Must be a padded/soft case.

I actually saw someone carry on a bass viola.  No, it didn't fit in the
overhead, but the stewardess put it in the back of the plane.  I think the
grave look of concern and being a bit teary eyed helped.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds had so much trouble with trashed equipment that
they actually had 3 different set-ups warehoused at different points around
the country.  Imagine opening up your anvil case and seeing your Super
Reverb or Bassman with tubes falling out.  Hey, that qualifies as a hate
crime!  Doesn't it?

Michael