RE: good intentions

Title: RE: good intentions

As Wynton Marsallis once said, "Some of the music out there now is like
The Emperor's New Clothes. Just because we see flashy images, or we need to
be convinced its real music doesn't justify it. Sometimes bad music is just
that. Bad music. And often very few people are willing to go against the
popular media and say just that. This music is awful."

** i'm not gonna get into the hendrix/cobain thing . . . .

but, ya know, to a lot of people wynton is sort of an example of the emperor's new clothes. it's not that he can't play or isn't talented, it's just that he's revisionist. i don't know what he's really offering.

 If one feels the need to validate what they're doing it seems to me to be a level of insecurity.
If one is comfortable with they're own talent, and
effort, than they're is no one that needs convincing. Unless of course the
very argument they make is being made just to convince themselves.

** if one gets "attacked," is one not able to make some sort of counterpoint to the original complaint? i believe that charlie parker was criticised for some of his playing and HE had to articulate what he was doing and why . . .

stig