Re: Turn All That S**t Off

Here's another suggestion that would probably mean taking a
tonal tangent from your initial recording, but a fun exploration
in any case for me, and more live oriented.

Use some kind of input (drum pads, keyboard, blah, blah) to
trigger electronic drum tones that are themselves a rhythmic
phrase, either static or dynamic (the rhythym isn't exactly the
same each time the tone is triggered for some reason).

The biggest question for me would be what tones do I want to
use.  I don't necessarily want to trigger standard trapset
grooves this way.  More along the lines of the electronic
equivalent of that nifty little percusion instrument (ok, I'm at
work and in a hurry, neurons can't find the name yet) where you
hit it and wooden flaps smack together for a few seconds - a
physical delay!  Or self perpetuating percussive events if you
want, that's the idea that caught me.  Why not have electronic
self perpetuating percussive events that you play like that
charming wooden clacker? (hey I think that's it, a
clacker...stop laughing!).  Prime suspects for me would be
modulation, delay, pitch/time mangling.  So I'd merrily mangle
any old tone source I could work into a nice smacking sound that
wooshed and faded away slowly into the woods like hoofbeats or
something, but I digress.  (Except one more thing, got some
interesting things from the sound of the tape rewinding in my
answering machine).

It's interface-independent in my view, but I'd have more fun
hitting pads than keys.  (Hmmm, may consider building that paia
trigger/midi converter...)

<cheerful mumbling>

Mike