Re: question on bowing, looping mechanisms

We're not going to start talking about Tibetan Bowls again, are we?

I don't know if I could stand another oscilloscope-laden dispute over
fundamentals and the harmonic properties of a bell-shaped instrument.

Even though I think I fomented a great deal of the furor.

                    "Curtis P

                    Seiss"               To:
Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
                    <seisscp@wash        cc:

                    post.com>            Subject:     Re: question on
bowing, looping
                                         mechanisms

                    04/05/01

                    10:34 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Loopers-Delig

                    ht

clever!     this thread will ultimatley lead back to looping...

i wanted to share this idea : my wife visualizes a "turn-table hurdy-gurdy"
in which a chrystal coblet is placed on the platter of a turn-table and an
arm is constructed above the glass to "bow" the rim as it rotates to
produce that old, familiar yet mysteriously beatiful tone.  its seems like
a great idea, so... whats the problem?     ususally when creating those
wonderfull  wine glass drones, on would apply just a bit of vinager on the
finger to get the perfect friction for coaxing out the harmonics-  however,
its not so easy to reproduce the delicate touch required with crude
crunstruction technique and lack of materials to experiment with.  has
anyone tried to build something similar to this?  i think this would make a
great stage piece for our unusual brand of music (loops loops!)  but the
most important final element would be the "finger" part of the mechanism.
any ideas on what we could try?

-curt
(hoping this is of the slightest interest)

Hedewa7@aol.com on 04/04/2001 10:55:16 PM

Please respond to Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com