Re: Looping Drummers who play tabla

> The kanjira in particular lends itself to proximity effects in micing.

One of my favorite "drums" is a single Remo PTS (pretuned head) that I got
several year ago.  This puppy is about 12" in diameter and very quiet
acoustically.  But hold it close to an mic and Oh Man! you get this HUGE
bass drum sound!  If you hold it right, you can press on the "skin" and
bend
the pitch.  And it's so small that I can pack it on top of my congas.  I
generally play it with a marimba mallet.

Does Remo even make PTS heads anymore?

> I'm also really into looping ghatams of all kinds

How do you mic your ghatams?  I play an udu that has a small hole for a mic
in the "neck".  I use an el cheapo Radio Shacko mic ($25) and it works
great!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com