Re: Basic intro (OT)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:54:37 -0500, "Dennis Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com>
wrote:

>Golly this has turned into quite a thread!
>
>I think "blanket statements" lead to a "warm discussion" (excuse the pun,
>but it IS Friday).

Consider the statement IN CONTEXT. Context, context, context, people! As
posted:

-----

> but what do *your* ears tell *you*?)

That any single sound is not music. Music is by definition a combination
and sequence of sounds

-----

Now, if you'd like to second-guess what my ears tell me, I guess that's
your prerogative. Not that anyone could have any logical grounds for
such a process, but whatever turns you on.

Now, let's address the concept of this being "wrong". In terms of
whether my *opinion* is technically correct, let's apply the standard
razor of the dictionary. Webster's Revised Unabridged:

1. The science and the art of tones, or musical sounds, i. e., sounds of
higher or lower pitch, begotten of uniform and synchronous vibrations,
as of a string at various degrees of tension; the science of harmonical
tones which treats of the principles of harmony, or the properties,
dependences, and relations of tones to each other; the art of combining
tones in a manner to please the ear.

2. (a) Melody; a rhythmical and otherwise agreeable succession of tones.
(b) Harmony; an accordant combination of simultaneous tones.

3. The written and printed notation of a musical composition; the score.

4. Love of music; capacity of enjoying music.

5. (Zo["o]l.) A more or less musical sound made by many of the lower
animals. See Stridulation.

Well, gee. It appears that BY DEFINITION, "sound" *is* plural in music.
Clearly, there exists at least one definition in which this is not true,
but I also clearly do not intend that definition. If you choose to
commit the fallacy of equivocation regardless, feel free to do so --
with the understanding that no conclusion reached through this process
will be logically valid, nor will it have any bearing on the validity of
my OPINION.