How Can I Do This (And What Do I Need)

Ok, I have been in the mix game for some years, and there are still
aspects
of it, that I have not mastered.
There's an effect, I am trying to duplicate (on my PC, using Sound Forge
5.0, (and all it's Plugins), ACID 3.0, and Cool Edit Pro and FruityLoops
3.3)
The effect I am trying to create (it exists), is a multi tap delay, that
builds to a cresendo). Sort of like if I said "Hello", (at 120 BPM), the
effect would be "H-H-H-Hello", but in tempo, and starting at; say -6
decibles, then going to +20.
I have heard this effect in several songs (none come to mind now), but I
know it exists ! I am not insane, or am I.
Leo Cavallo used something similar in "Stuttering Stravinsky".
I have a lot of Direct X Plugins, so I am sure one of them can produce
this
effect. I just know what it is called.... PLEASE HALP !!!!!

Lucien E. Darthard
A Goal Is A Dream With A Deadline Placed On It.
Cell Phone
http://ldarthard.ohgo.com/