Re: Any opinions on Line 6 DL-4

>I can get a used DL-4 pretty cheap, I haven't tried it out. Anyone here
>have
>an opinion on it?
>
>Carl Jacobson

I for one love it. I would give it high grades particularly on (stereo)
sound quality and usability in a live situation. My usage is mainly for
its
loop delay but also the other "regular" delay & echo effects are great.

It does have some idiosyncrasies such as unsuppressed artifacts when
changing the delay time (although this can also be used as an effect in
itself). Also it's a fixed-level input which can lead to clipping when
overdriven (a compressor/limiter on the input might help here) but I have
no
problem as my setup is tweaked to a fixed output on the driving device
anyway.

I use it with an expression pedal (an old Roland one I still had, RC-5 I
think it's called), of which the main benefit is being able to gradually
change between two different presets (one combination of the knob controls
on toe, another on heel, and all graduations in between - this is a great
feature!)

The 14 second maximum loop time (28 in half-speed mode) might be
considered
a limitation - I consider it a price trade-off (comp. e.g. the rack-mount
60sec version at what .. 500$?)

I have it featured prominently on some tracks on my band Fractal's website
if you care for a listen (fairly long tracks mostly):

http://home.pacbell.net/adrian_c/music-nat-anthem.html (no looping but
uses
the sweep echo setting with expression pedal to create the delay change
artifacts I just mentioned)

http://home.pacbell.net/adrian_c/music-echo.html (loop delay)

http://home.pacbell.net/adrian_c/music-consolation.html (loop delay)

Offering no (hypocritical) apologies for the blatant plug;-). Hope this
helps!
Nic