Rick Turner

Add me to the list of Renassaince bass owners - fretless 5 string -
completely lovely instrument. I used it in a trio with
harp and sax not so long ago and it was perfect! Only problem with it is
that it's so good, friends keep borrowing it, so I
don't get to have it around all that often. Good thing is, it's being
played all the time! I have various session player
buddies who call me up when they hear a track that it 'has' to be on...

..on top of that, Rick is one of the coolest and friendliest people in the
luthiery business. On my first trip to NAMM, Rick,
along with Joe Zon, spent ages sorting out a trip for me (I was on a very
low budget) trying to find people to give me lifts
to NorCal from LA, and gave me a place to stay in Santa Cruz (my first
visit to the looping capital of the world :o) - nice
bloke making great guitars - sounds like a fine combination to me! (oh,
and BTW, anyone interested in grass roots music
education should check out the work being done by Rick's wife Jessica, who
works to get guitars into schools, provide low
cost tuition and generally raise the profile of music in schools where it
has been sidelined - a really really worthwhile
project.

cheers

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk