Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #717

Well, saturated/distorted guitar sounds are a very, very subjective thing
and generally everybody should go ahead and use what gives good results to
his/her ear, period. But I am a little alergic to these amp simulators
because they are promissing you something they will never be able to live
up to. One of the most important factors for a Marshall sound is the 4x12"
cab with Celestions. There is no way on earth that you can duplicate this
in a digital bean shaped box, it's physically impossible.

The whole thing reminds me of the fact that people got so used to the
taste
of canned pineaple over time that a wide majority of people in a test
found
freshly squeezed pineable juice 'artificial tasting' as opposed to canned
juice. Beware of the brainwash, guys!

That said I have to admit that a) I have used sansamp pedals with fair
results myself (the TriOD, for example, has a nice 'british' and a
horrible
'tweed' sound in it), b) that Centara amp I mentioned seems to do a good
job (but as I said, it is a big, heavy and expensive stereo 2x12" amp), c)
I have the tried Line 6 stuff on three or four occasions and almost always
found them terrible sounding. I have to work with rented or borrowed stuff
occasionally and even with some goofy Boss pedals and a Twin with Sovtech
tubes I'd manage to get by I think, but the Pod even has a latency
problem...almost like a Midi-guitar. Again, given time one might be able
get more out of them, esp. in the studio. I have trouble with those soft
knobs that turn without knowing when they dial in etc.

TO GET BACK OT: I just played a Solo gig in a not-too-small club with two
little 6V6 tube amps as an experiment, one '62 Fender and one '59 Gibson
and put my modified G-force and EDP between the overdrive pedal (Baby Blue
OD) and amps..........the tone was so phantastic (to my ears) it made me
literally scream. I played a festival for classical guitar music earlier
with the Gibson and an old Bassman amp a got congratulated for my great
tone by prominent classical guitarists and boroque lute players. Then
again, recording a great amp sound is another story, who knows what we
will
beusing ten years from now :-)
andreas