Re: help: auto unsubscribe/subscribe loop?

At 06:05 AM 3/10/2002, Hedewa7@aol.com wrote:
>folks,
>anyone know whatall this is about?
>i'm receiving -in a loop- notices that i've been unsubscribed to LD, then
>re-subscribed, then unsubscribed etc etc..... none of which was initiated
>by
>me, and many (or, most) of your posts are not arriving in my mailbox,
>anymore.....
>any ideas?

Sorry about that. I've been having a problem the last few days with some
moron's mis-configured server out on the net. An address at that server
was
subscribed to the list, and then was turned off a couple of weeks ago.
Normally this means the address starts bouncing, and the LD list server
removes the address from the list automatically and all is well. However,
instead of bouncing immediately with correctly formatted bounce messages,
this server waited a couple of weeks and then started sending hundreds of
bounce messages at once, all of which were formatted wrong. The incorrect
formats of the bounces confused the LD list software and caused it to
remove the wrong addresses from the list. And since hundreds of them came
at once, this happened to a whole bunch of people.  So I had to spend
quite
a few hours digging through all of this mess to figure out who got removed
and subscribe them back to the list. big fun. There may be more of this
still, because I removed the real address on Friday and the bounce
messages
coming back so far are only from list posts up to Wednesday.

sorry for the confusion, if it caused you any.

>At 09:54 AM 3/10/2002, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>You might want to quiry Kim directly.

that would make sense, as i'm the only one likely to know about list
problems or be able to do anything about it, and I check my own mail more
often than the list....

kim