Re: CALL FOR PERFORMERS: Y2K2 LOOPFEST (aka 3rd annual santa cruz looping festival)

yes!
please on the mackies. . .
saturday evening would be best for me but whatever
works is fine.

tim

On Mon, 17 June 2002, "Rick Walker/Loop.pooL" wrote

> From: "Rick Walker/Loop.pooL" <GLOBAL@cruzio.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:49:16 -0700
> Subject: CALL FOR PERFORMERS:
>       Y2K2 LOOPFEST (aka 3rd annual santa cruz looping
festival)
> To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
>
> Dear Loopers,
>
> I would like to coridally invite you to come and
perform
> at the 3rd ANNUAL SANTA CRUZ LOOOPING FESTIVAL
> on Saturday and Sunday, July 13th and 14th.  This is
already shaping up to
> be the largest
> gathering of live loopers ever and we are going to
have a blast.

> There are a very limited number of spaces still
available, so I will give
> them out on a first come, first serve basis
> to everyone who will submit a CD, cassette or mini
disc of their work
> (sorry, those are the only formats I own).
> Please send submissions ASAP to:
>
> Y2K2 LOOPFEST
> c/o Rick Walker
> 412 Darwin Street
> Santa Cruz, California
>
> If you don't make this performance, don't
fret.................more are
> coming, I promise you................!!!!!
>

> There are a lot of caveats for this performance (due
to the very large
> number of performers in a small amount of time).
> PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY the text below to make
sure that this Festival is
> your cup of tea.
>
> I'm in the midst of trying to have a commercial
release of my live looping
> CD,  "Translucent Dayglo Green Plastic"
> in time for this event so I, unfortunately, do not
have a lot of time for
> correpondance.  Please forgive, in advance for
> my craziness...............................well, here
> 'tis.................hope it looks good to you all.
>
> ALSO, and this is important   DO NOT USE LOOPERS
DELIGHT TO CORRESPOND WITH
> ME!!!!
> Please write me directly at GLOBAL@cruzio.com
> I may not have time to read all the posts due to my
heavy schedule of the
> next month.
>
> yours,  Rick Walker
>

> DESCRIPTION and RULES of the FESTIVAL:
>
> This entire festival will be a complete benefit for
the
> CAYUGA VAULT (in other words there will, regrettably,
no
> performers fees or expenses) which is the last
> affordably rentable venue left in Santa Cruz County
> from the ravages of the dot.com real estate wars.
> The tickets will probably be $20/for both days
> or $12/per day.
>
> The festival will be a two day affair and will be a
> 'sampler' styled festival:  in other words, we will be
> showcasing a large number of loopers (we're
anticipating
> between 30 and 40 loopers will perform from all over
the country).

> Before I talk about the logistical details for this
festival
>  I would like to apologize to you in advance for
> asking you to participate for free and at your own
travel expense.

> It is, regrettably, the only way to make this event
be successful
> to help the CAYUGA VAULT stay in business, thus
insuring the
> future of looping  (and singersongwriter/modern
dance/poetry)
> events in Santa Cruz.
>
>  It feels silly, frankly, to ask you to perform
> for free and at the same time give out a large number
of
> rules for how the performance will go down.
Unfortunately,
> in order to accomplish the scope of this festival
which will, I am
> hoping, be the largest event (in terms of number of
performers)
> in looping history,  we will have to be very
communal, selfless
> and disciplined about pulling it all off.
>
> The whole point is to celebrate the diversity and
incredible spirit
> of our looping community again (thanks so much for
Loopstock, Hans!!!!) and
> to try to continue to promote creativity through
> looping.   I hope you can make it.
>
> OK, HERE"S ALL THE STUFF YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW
> IN ORDER TO COME PERFORM:
>  To  accomodate everyone (and to keep the production
from
> being a nightmare of logistics and communications) we
will
> adhere, very strictly to the following format:
>
> Each person will have no more than:
> 20 minutes to set up there gear
> (so keep your setups simple and portable)
> 30 minutes to perform
> 10 minutes to hustle gear off stage.
>
> Everyone will get a 'last song signal' five minutes
before their set is
> scheduled to end and anyone who takes longer to set
up than the allowed 20
> minutes will, regrettably, have any extra time taken
> off of their performance times.
>
> As anyone who has ever played this kind of festival
knows well,
> everyone who wants to participate will need to be
disciplined
> and I , as stage manager, will be very strict about
hustling people on and
> off stage.
> DON'T be offended by me..................nothing will
be personal, I promise
> you..........I'm
> just tickled pink that you are here to play.
>

> Please understand that by being a strong stage
manager I
> will just be trying to make sure everyone who wants
to will have the same
> chance to perform.
>

> ALSO REMEMBER:
> The venue is very small and only holds 75-90 audience
members and there may
> be 20 or 30 performers there at all times
>  so in order to maximize the benefit to the Cayuga
Vault
> there will be, regrettably and consequently,
>
>  NO COMPS AT ALL!!!!
>
> There will be two stages (like the LoopStock
festival in SLO) but
> in a much smaller venue.There will be a main stage
with a good P.A. system
> (powered mackies) and then there will be a blitzkrieg
stage without a p.a.
> for guitarists/bassists or any loopers who can bring
in a small  portable
> self powered soundsystem (solo amplifiers).
>
> I hope you can make it.  I think we are going to have
a blast doing it!!!

> So I need to know if this interests you and I need to
know a couple of
> things from you:
>
> 1)  Do you want to perform?
>
> 2)  Which day is preferable for you to perform and at
what time?
> (I'll try my very best to accomodate everyone's
wishes but please forgive me
> if I can't grant every request around this one (just
think about pleasing 40
> people and you'll get where this might not work out
perfectly).

> 3)  If you are coming in from out of town, would you
like floor space to
> crash out at one of the many local loopers homes?
> Local loopers, I you can put someone
> (or several people for that matter) during the
weekend, I'd love it if you
> would contact me so that I can coordinate sleeping
arrangements.   I can
> have a large and inglorious slumber party in and
around my teaching studio
> (ala Hans little Loopstock
> slumber party)
>
> Just let me know and thanks for wading through this
whole proposal.

> yours, in the spirit of creativity and community and
looping,  Rick Walker