Re: DL-4

From: "Stuart Wyatt" <stuart@solostring.com>

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 09:45 PM, S V G wrote:

> A common misconception... the DL-4 (and the other multi-coloured Line 6
> stomp boxes) are not
> made with metal casings, they are plastic.

I'd have to disagree with you... After two years of playing mine on the
street, the paint is completely chipped around the edges, and it is
definitely metal. I have also taken my DL4 apart many times to clean the
street grime off of the PCB and switches.... it is definitely metal! I'd
bet my Repeater on it (but not the DL4) :)

     Well bugger me over a barrel!  I had heard some talk about the Line 6
pedals being plastic so
I decided to check it out myself.  After tapping on the box, it sure
didn't sound like metal.  I
decided it was plastic.  Stuart's reply prompted me to take it apart and
do a continuity check on
the case... sure enough, it's metal.  Cast aluminum I believe (though my
credibilty is pretty low
at the moment).  Imagine that, one of the things that I am critical of in
others, is speaking
(especially here on the internet) without really doing the research.
Thanks Stuart for the wake
up call!

> I know of someone who *stomps* on them regularly and
> the button/switch broke through the case.  They do a good job of making
> them look like metal
> however.

Are you sure it broke through the case? Or the bolt holding the switch
to the unit came loose? If it is the latter, it has happened to me
twice. I dont know if Line6 have changed the material for the stomp
boxes for the newer batches, but mine is definitely metal.

     Yeah, this guy is a real monster.  I guess that the metal casting
wasn't thick enough at that
point to hold up under his weight.  Good point on the switches coming
loose, it's always a good
idea to check the tightness of the nuts every once in a while.  Both the
nuts on the switches and
the nuts on the 1/4" input and output jacks in the back.

> I'm glad that Stuart finds these boxes to work well for him.

The simplicity of the unit is ideal for me. I do not think when I play,
and often play for up to 20 minutes no stop with my eyes closed... for
the street work that I do, it is ideal. However, I have had problems
with overloading the input in a studio environment... I think soon it
will be time to try and find myself an echo Pro.

Considering the abuse that I have put my poor pedal through - playing in
dirty, damp environments, and sometimes in near freezing weather - it
has performed remarkably well considering the price of the box :)

     Considering the working conditions that Stuart has described (playing
on the street, battery
powered), I would like to applaud his efforts.  His website shows some
real quality in his
approach to music making and the sound clips are stunning.  Though the
DL-4 ultimately doesn't
meet my needs, (loop not long enough, sound quality a bit low, other
effects good but not great),
I find it refreshing to hear what other people are able to get from these
humble little boxes.

         Cheers,

              SVG