Re: Guitar Type Controller

So here's my feelings about midi guitar controllers based on the GK-2a
pickup.  They can be be good, or not so good, depending on the setup and
guitar.  I first put it on a G&L Skyhawk (strat style) and it tracked
OK.  I later put it on my M series Steinberger, and it worked a LOT
better.  Neither time was bad, but I do see better tracking with the
Steinberger.  So, my feeling is a "Les Paul" style guitar is probably
going to work better than a Stratocaster.

Also, I don't know about the GR-33, but the GR-30 is leaps and bounds
over anything I've played before.  I've had a Yamaha MIDI guitar, and a
Casio MIDI guitar, and let me tell you, they SUCKED in comparison.  So
technology has come a way in the last few years.

SO, is there latency?  Yup.  Mostly noticeable on the lower strings, due
to longer note cycle time.  Is it bad?  Not really, IMO.  What I do is
if I want a bass sound, I bring the octave down and play notes higher.
Works like a charm.

So, I say go for it.  Especially if you're going for an Axion box, which
is better than what I have.  The GR-30 seems to track my bends and
hammer ons almost flawlessly. I think you'll be happy, but remember,
setup and guitar is very important.

Mark Sottilaro