Re: Guitar Type Controller

"Mark Sottilaro" <sine@zerocrossing.net> put forth:

> So here's my feelings about midi guitar controllers based on the GK-2a
> pickup.  They can be be good, or not so good, depending on the setup and
> guitar.  I first put it on a G&L Skyhawk (strat style) and it tracked
> OK.  I later put it on my M series Steinberger, and it worked a LOT
> better.  Neither time was bad, but I do see better tracking with the
> Steinberger.  So, my feeling is a "Les Paul" style guitar is probably
> going to work better than a Stratocaster.

The big question is why, though?  Would this be in the same territory as an
E-Bow working just fine on some acoustic steel-strings, and not others?
Perhaps a resonance-to-response ratio to be figured?

I remember reading an interview with Andy Summers and Robert Fripp around
the time their first collaboration came out; and they discussed the Roland
GR MIDI interface use - Both of them said that the delays in response were
noticeable and required a different kind of playing to really be what they
thought it should be.  It was agreed that, for the washes and such, it was
fine - but the moment one started picking, it'd fall apart.  I notice your
mention of the latency as well.  Is this still the case, then?