Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sottilaro" <sine@zerocrossing.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 21:33 PM
Subject: Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

> RIGHT.  I totally agree with your point.  I think it's in a lot of our
> (I know mine!) natures to want to explore our gear to it's "n'th"
> degree, and at a point, it can become "gear wanking."  I remember buying
> Adrian Belew's "Desire Caught by the Tail" and thinking, "Oh, Adrian's
> got a new guitar synth and he recorded his gear wanking."  In an
> interview, he totally said just that.  Some tracks I felt musically held
> up, but many seemed academic.  I think Zappa did that at times as well.
> Can you play G-Spot Tornado while you're cruising around town?  Probably
> not, as it's more a "sit down and appreciate it" kind of deal that I
> think is mainly appreciated by other musicians.  It's still totally
> valid, and it must be done to "push the envelope" but, as Andre said,
> "...enough fooling around.  It's time to get your act together."

Actually I found "G-Spot Tornado" and other songs from "Jazz from Hell" to
be wonderful accompaniment for playing Quake. :)  It didn't carve down the
knowledge that this was Frank's "Synclavier" album, and I understood the
idea of putting such pieces in a single collection; but it didn't change
how
much I enjoy the music on the album.  I wondered at the time I read about
it
whether ol' FZ was making a comment about the gear-prone nature of
musicians
in a technical age, but I also had the impression that he had a lot of fun
putting JFH together.

(Still pinin' for the West Coast)

Stephen P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions