Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

RIGHT.  I totally agree with your point.  I think it's in a lot of our
(I know mine!) natures to want to explore our gear to it's "n'th"
degree, and at a point, it can become "gear wanking."  I remember buying
Adrian Belew's "Desire Caught by the Tail" and thinking, "Oh, Adrian's
got a new guitar synth and he recorded his gear wanking."  In an
interview, he totally said just that.  Some tracks I felt musically held
up, but many seemed academic.  I think Zappa did that at times as well.
Can you play G-Spot Tornado while you're cruising around town?  Probably
not, as it's more a "sit down and appreciate it" kind of deal that I
think is mainly appreciated by other musicians.  It's still totally
valid, and it must be done to "push the envelope" but, as Andre said,
"...enough fooling around.  It's time to get your act together."

BTW, I bought Andre's Turntableist Guitar at the Santa Cruz Loopfest,
and I feel it's amazing!  Andre, is that the result of you "getting your
act together"?  If it is, you're totally successful!  Great listening
fun!

Oh, and if you wonder what indigenous tribes from all over the world
would sound like if they were trapped in a Toys R Us, pick up Rick
Walker's Dayglow Green Plastic too, very interesting stuff.

Mark Sottilaro