Translucent Dayglow Lime Green Plastic CD mini review

Hi all,

Ever since the Santa Cruz loop gig I've been deliriously checking out
all of the dozen or so new CDs I scored at the gig. And . . . there
have been some real gems among them I can tell you! I could spend
the next 10 hours or so writing up what I like best about all of them
but (unfortunately) I don't have time.

But what I DO have spinning on the CD drive right now is Rick Walker's
latest Loop.pooL disc "Translucent Dayglow Lime Green Plastic." In
addition to being a TIRELESS promoter and cheerleader for the left
coast's burgeoning loop scene he is one really creative musician with
an impressive resume (see: http://www.watershed-arts.com/walker.html).

Listening to this CD I am reminded of a time several years ago when
a pal of mine shared a documentary LP recording of Pygmy tribal music
with me. There is something about Rick's music that makes me think
of some far-flung future audio documentarian discovering a tribe of
25th century "Pygmy" electronic junkyard ritual percussionists in some
obscure nocturnal haunt.

Of course the "tribe" is just Rick and his loopers (and a dump truck
full of odd instruments and found objects) Some of these sound like
traditional instruments . . . almost . . . but most still sound like pots,
pans, broken buzzers, springs, vacuum hoses, toy keyboards and Lord
knows what other sort of post-apocalyptic detritus. To this add
some highly processed (and looped) mutant mouth percussion/chanting
that further reinforces the otherworldly "tribal" feel.

What's really amazing to me is that it was apparently recorded live
(with some audience participation at one point) and still has the
sonic clarity and inventiveness of a studio project. Along with Rick's
first Loop.pooL CD -- which is much more "electronica" oriented (for lack
of a better description) -- I get the feeling Rick can pick up just about
any object and not only make an instrument out of it but make really
compelling music with it to boot.

I think it can be very safely said by now that Rick's a MASTER
percussionist
but this CD makes a good case for him being a master MUSICIAN. He plays
flutes (or things that sound like them at least) sings in pseudo "ethnic"
glossolalia, bangs skins, plucks strings, pushes buttons, manages his
loopers
and does everything but moonwalk all with great sensitivity AND humor.

I have to say, I really would LOVE to hear what would come out as a
byproduct if Rick were ever to link up with some of the other notables
on this list. If I may be so bold . . . I think a combination of Mr. Walker
and Mr. Torn would spontaneously combust if they ever shared a stage.
It makes me really curious to think of what he must have sounded like
with acoustic guitar phenoms Martin Simpson and Bob Brozman both of
which he has toured with.

Rick walker is a one-of-a-kind musician and his Loop.pooL "Translucent
Dayglow Lime Green Plastic" CD is an equally unique and absorbing
listening experience. Highly recommended!

End of (slightly more than) mini-review.

BTW -- Thanks for sharing Rick!

For more info on this guy check out this URL:
http://www.watershed-arts.com/walker.html

Cheers,

Ted Killian