Re: sony VAIO and laptops in general

<sine@zerocrossing.net>
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V02 #518

>I've always found the Mac to be very
> intuitive for most
> things.  The problem with the 2 OSs, for me, is
that
> they tend to look
> and behave a lot a like, but then NOT.  It's the
> parts that look like
> they should work the same, but don't that bug me.

well, yeah, i think you've kind of hit on the issue
there. there are functions that i am used to on
windows that either don't appear on the mac OS, or i
just haven't figured how to access them, and it's not
for lack of effort. i go through periods of having to
use macs daily, and even after 10 years of using both
platforms and watching them grow, macs have never
agreed with me.

> Are you looking for a
> UNIX command line interface?

no...for my taste, win98SE is pretty much the high
point of functionality and stability. as much as we
can discuss and learn here, i have NEVER found macs to
be stable. granted any computer will crash given the
right (or wrong) circumstances, but i have lost a lot
more work on macs than PCs...i can go to a protools
seminar and start counting the crashes...

> It's not the best
> solution, but I'm being patient.

that's the best attitude. for all the laudation that
apple recieves by so many musicians and engineers that
i admire and respect, the platform has never worked
for me.

when i start school again in the fall i'll be in an
electronic music program that is entirely MAC based,
so i'm being openminded and hoping that whatever
lacking functionality i've encountered in the past
i'll learn to deal with/gain better understanding of
the OS at this point.

thanks for the feedback,

phil

=====
"Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what
it's like to live inside somebody else's skin.
 It is the knowledge that there can never really be any
peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally
for you too."
                                   -Frederick Buechner
"The jewel is in the lotus."