Re: loop device endorsement - was Santanas looping bassist

At 10:44 PM 8/23/2002, Luigi Meloni wrote:
>Kim, what I meant was that you don't call a guitar SANTANA SE and then
>take
>someone else to advertise it...
>It seems to be to be a nonsense.

sorry if it seems that way, but reality is that Creed is huge today and
Santana is not. One hit a three years ago after a 20 year drought is
nothing compared to Creed today. Kids are playing guitar again because of
Creed and other bands like them on the charts, not because of Santana.
(and
again, you are going off on examples and ignoring the subject which is
annoying, this is the last I'm replying to this idiotic tangent.)

That's the whole point here. Big figures in pop culture are what moves
things. If we are interested in what will make looping more than an odd
niche, that's what it takes. A big shift in popular music culture that
somehow includes looping. Fringe artists and a few guys from decades ago
don't do it.

>For the other part,  Korn are almost dead (commercially speaking) from the
>last 'official remix album' (three or four years ago??), and I don't think
>that Frank Zappa or Chick Corea are to be considered old guitar
>nerds...but
>that is only my opinion...

What? Look up some facts before saying things that are wrong. Korn's
latest
album is currently number 34 on the Billboard album charts after 10 weeks,
whether you like it or not. No Santana, no Bowie, no Fripp, etc. However,
the really big thing right now is not Korn, but Eminem. if you look at the
numbers, he's a bigger deal in pop culture than Nirvana ever was. If
Eminem
were a looper I would be a happy guy.

Zappa and Corea? what relevance do they have to this topic? Yeah sure,
they
were great, but the 70's ended. get over it and try to catch up. For sure
nobody is going into stores buying anything because of Chick Corea, aside
from L. Ron Hubbard books. If Corea bought two echoplexes tomorrow, I
would
be happy that we sold two more echoplexes. But I wouldn't expect anything
more to come of it than that.

kim